Tenggol Island

Being a Malaysian myself, I have never heard of Tenggol Island, until my diver friend mentioned to me maybe around 2 years back.

I believe many of you have never heard of it as well. It is relatively still very low key compared to the commercialized Redang, Perhentian and also Tioman.
 I think it remain unknown to many also because it isn't famous for island holiday, but a diver's haven instead.
I did bumped into a few groups of people that were there just for a beach getaway, though.

The island also has a regular visitor throughout August - October, a diver's dream : the infamous whale shark.

Unfortunately for us, we didn't have the luck to bump into the big, tame animal. 
But I will definitely be back for it!


Tenggol Island is a relatively small island. I heard from a dive instructor that they have three resorts on the island. However at least at this part of the island - I only saw one, which is the resort I am staying.
The stretch of beach that we have is really not that long, but enough to have unlimited seaview. 
The weather we experienced here isn't particularly good, especially that we picked at the lower part of the year, nearing the monsoon. I heard from the resort staff that the condition of the sea is almost like what it would be for November - December already.

I had the worst, THE worst boat trip ever in my whole life. I do not have motion sickness, sea sickness or whatever sort so I will never feel sick nor nauseated when I am on the boat. 
(I can even read in a moving vehicle, no shit) 
But the waves were so crazy when we were making our way to the island, and we had to accommodate another boats' passengers AND luggage because their engine broke down. 
So imagine that, overweight diving speed boat fighting against the strong waves. A 45 minutes boat ride turned out to be 90 minutes long. 
There were a couple of families on board, so we had to squeeze and I was seated at the most front, so I had to move to the front of the boat and sit on the floor instead. Initially I had not much problem, but sooner I couldn't breathe properly because I was too near to the engine, inhaling so much of pollutants that I felt I was gonna pass out anytime. 
When we finally reached the mainland I almost thought I'd die from all the nausea. 
(Now I understand motion sickness people! God it feels so terrible) 
 I almost wanted to give up going down to the water. Thank god I gulped down as much water as I could and kept having some sweets to chase the nausea away. 

I did two dives the same day, and survived!
Main reason that we went to Tenggol was to get our license done, some of us Open Water, some of us Advanced.
I had always thought that I'd stopped just at open water license, because to tell you the real truth, I am not really good in diving. My buoyancy sucks. Although I love it, but I hate doing something where I do not have much control in. 
But beginning of the year when Jane asked me if I wanted to tag along, I thought for the longest time ever!
First was time constraints, then the money, then the ability, and then the fear. I even repeatedly asked my friends who have already taken their Advanced license about how scary it was, lol.

But I am so glad I went and get it done.
Before the dive trip I was so god damn nervous and was hoping this day won't come so soon. 
#stress

But YAY!
Advanced Open Water License holder blogging here.
HOW BOUT DAT

I am just glad I made it, although I sustained so many injuries and sandfly bites (thanks) but okay still alive. 

Another bucket list crossed out!

Okay lengthy post ever since forever righttttt
Are you guys even reading?

Lol okay pictures time


Sunset (this is our diving boat, our speedboat, our ferry)


Right outside our dorm 
Beng dissatisfied with the lack of line (such disgrace on holiday keep using his phone lol kidding me too i was the only ONE with line uploading insta stories hahah)
and Jane drying herself up

Jane did so well covering herself up I feel like an idiot for packing my shorts to dive. I am never diving with shorts anymore. Hahaha. FULL SUIT NEXT TIME.


View on one of the swings outside our dorm


Them playing beach volleyball
Me, always dodging the ball


Occasionally, I get this question:
Why do you like to go to the beach so much?

I think I start getting very fascinated by beaches during my first trip to Aceh, Indonesia. That place is remarkable. I would LOVE to go back and dive. Yes, definitely should be my first overseas diving place. I was taken away by how blue the sea was, loved how the sun sets and rises by the sea. Intimidated by how magnificent the ocean could be, how loud the waves could roar, how high they could go, when I was at the place where tsunami hit them.
Ever since then, I loved the sea and the beach.

Maybe it was destined, I got a placement in Sabah, the place where there were even more beaches surrounding me! When I first left the airport to my uni, my breath was taken away for the journey encompasses unlimited seaview. I fall even deeper for the sea. 

And then I got into diving, been to many islands in KK, and my favourite would always be Mantanani and the beaches in Kudat. 
My love for the sea will never be lesser, it would only blossomed to even more love despite the fact that I have been to so many beaches.

Now that I have gotten my advance license, my first goal would be to dive at every island in the east coast. I have crossed out Tioman and Tenggol for now.

Can't wait to log more dives!

Wah, super duper long post. Been so long since I did this.

:)

If you are interested in paying Tenggol a visit, I stayed in Tenggol Coral Beach Resort.
Their food is really not bad! Albeit a little on the salty side, but almost every meal had seafood, quite fresh!
Their chalets seems cute, all fronting the beach! I stayed in the dorm. 
Relatively clean room, huge bath.
LOADS of divers.
Made many new friends.

Do check 'em out.
BTW, Tenggol Coral Beach Resort is a 5 star PADI resorts - which means if you take license with them, you get a GOLD dive card.
YAY GETTING A GOLD CARD