Where to go in Kuala Terengganu?



#amazingterengganu is a hashtag created in 2017 as it is the year of visiting Terengganu, organized by the Tourism Ministry.



In June, I decided to arrange a short trip to a local town in Malaysia - Kuala Terengganu, situated in the Terengganu state. Terengganu is a relatively quiet state, as it is situated at the east coast, whereas most development in Malaysia focuses on the west coast.
HOWEVER! Terengganu is very much well known for its pristine islands, Redang, Perhentian, Lang Tengah.....
Also, the lesser known islands - Kapas and Gem Islands.
I also had a separate visit to Kapas Island just a few days back so be sure to come back for a post dedicated to that!

When some of my friends knew I was taking a short trip to KT, they were all dumbfounded because some of the questions they first aired out to me were:
1. Are you heading to the islands?
2. What are you gonna do in KT?

To most people, KT is nothing but a stop before moving to the beautiful islands.
But do you know that KT offers not only a unique touch of vintage settings, but it also has rewarding beach and sea views?


Chinatown/ Kampung Cina 



Kampung Cina is mainly where you find all the Chinese eateries (Ban mian, Bah Kut Teh, etc).
While you're at it, try
Sin Ping Xiang (Roti Paung / Noodles freshly prepared - Char Kuey Teow etc)
T. Homemade Cafe (Roti Paung/ various local kuihs/ wantan mee)
You MUST try this local delicacies they call "Roti Paung" or in mandarin we call it "xiao mian bao" which literally translates into little bread.

I highly recommend this as souvenirs, as it's not a common food found in other places in Malaysia. They have the ready packed ones and you can just reheat at home.
I personally love the taste, and the texture is a little different from what we have as roti kahwin in kopitiams.
4/5!
Besides food, Kampung Cina is a great eye candy for photography maniac like me!
Check out some of my favourite shots I took.
Sexy back of my tour guide






Kampung Cina is just one main street all the way, but what's fun here is that you have hidden alleys along the way and it's for you to find out! The alleys are pretty narrow, but each with different themes, decorated with murals and sometimes even sculptures.

One of it that I personally do recommend to you is this:
Turtle Alley @ Chinatown


In this very narrow alley, you can see decorations on the wall, the floor - all regarding turtles. What they are trying to highlight here 
"SAVE OUR TURTLES"
I'm a great fan of marine animals, and watching the turtle swim underwater when I'm diving is always very therapeutic. 
Unfortunately, the locals there have very minimal awareness as I spot a lot of stalls selling turtle eggs in the Central Market (Pasar Payang). 
In this alley, you'll find out different information about turtles, as they put up the species of turtles, and a very cute short story with illustrations on creating awareness. 
Be sure to drop by and take a look!



Pantai Pandak Chendering




I have a soft heart for the beach and the sea, hence when my friend brought me to this beach, I totally fell in love. I know how people are into grammable places now, and this, I present to you, the most instagrammable place in KT.
No crowds, big wide views of the seas, props (swings) to take pictures with.
What are you waiting for?


The Floating Mosque (Masjid Tengku Tengah Zaharah) & Pantai Lagun

Take a brisk walk at the park that surrounds the floating mosque.



Pantai Lagun that surrounds the mosque.


Crystal Mosque @Taman Tamadun Islam 

The very famous Crystal Mosque.

While you're enroute back to the city center of KT, please stop at Losong (Taman Tamadun Islam is situated in Losong) just by any of the stalls and taste their keropok.
It's the best keropok I've ever eaten in my whole life, no joke.

They mix the raw fish flesh on the spot and fry them so it's really fresh and nice.

Keropok, which is made out of fish flesh being deep fried

5/5!
I'm drooling reminiscing about the taste.
Apparently Losong is famous for keropok so don't miss it!



Terengganu State Museum


This museum is magnificent.
Just the size of it, got me really amazed. 
It's one of the biggest museum I've ever seen, and the architecture and details, I'd say, is very impressive. Unfortunately I was there during the fasting month and they close early. I only had the last 30 minutes and the staffs told me that I won't be able to finish the tour in such short time.

Recommended time spend: 1 hour 
Entrance ticket: RM 5 for Malaysians

Pros of travelling with a friend that is equally good in photography. Good shot!

Uptown Kontena @ Pantai Teluk Ketapang

If you are taking flights, this can be a mid stop before you head immediately to the airport!
A cute little container town that has a variety of cafes mainly serves western and Malay food just by the beach!




The beach gives me a kind of Gili/Lombok vibes.

However, before visiting, do check for their operation hours as I am unsure if they open during the day. Again, fasting month so when I went it was closed daylight.

Pantai Teluk Ketapang, where the cafes overlook


How to plan the itinerary?
Tips to plan your itinerary!

Visit Pantai Pandak Chendering (it is the furthest), then the Floating Mosque.
Crystal Mosque and Terengganu State Museum is nearby to each other.
Pantai Teluk Ketapang is enroute to the airport.
Stay by Chinatown for easy access to the city center!

BONUS!
An hour drive towards the north from KT, you'll find yourself in
Kampung Mangkuk where the legendary Terrapuri Heritage Village is.
I've seen pictures and it's honestly very attractive. 
It's a loss that I didn't get to visit this time but I surely will the next time round.

Signing off, thanks for reading!